MAKES 12 TO 16 MUFFINS
• ¼ cup butter or margarine
• 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
• ¼ cup applesauce
• 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
• ¾ teaspoon orange extract
• 3 tablespoons water, 3 tablespoons oil, and 2 teaspoons baking powder, mixed together
• Zest of one orange, grated
• Pulp of one orange, slightly chopped
• 2 cups all-purpose flour with 2 teaspoons baking powder
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ½ cup fresh-squeezed orange juice 2 cups dried cranberries Preheat oven to 375°.
Mix the butter or margarine and sugar together in a large bowl. Add the applesauce, vanilla, orange extract, and baking powder mixture and beat well. Add the zest and orange pulp to the batter. Add the flour with baking powder, salt, and orange juice; mix well. Fold in the cranberries.
Spoon the batter into paper-lined or prepared muffin tins. Sprinkle the top of the batter with sugar. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until done. Remove the muffins from the pan and place on a cooling rack. Cool before serving.
This Breakfast recipe was published in 'The Book Lover's Cookbook by 'Shaunda Kennedy Wenger and Janet kay Jensen' - Ballantine Books'